When working with BNP Paribas, you can expect a trusted partner to protect your assets, support your operating model and tailor solutions to the needs of your business.
At BNP Paribas Securities Services (BNP Paribas), we know that every market is different and we offer the scale and relationships across Australia and New Zealand to help your business meet the challenges and opportunities of these markets. This local strength is complemented with our presence across 27 of the world’s major financial markets to help your business navigate challenges and access opportunities in these markets.
BNP Paribas Securities Services Australia at a glance
In Australia, BNP Paribas celebrated its 140th anniversary in 2021 and is the oldest foreign bank in the region. We have been providing domestic custody and asset services in Australia for over 20 years. Today we are one of the largest custodians in the market, with over AUD 640 billion1 in assets under custody.
- Leading third party clearer for Australian equities.
- Consistently ranked #1 by the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) for settlement efficiency based on market delivery obligations and low fail rates3 .
- 1st custodian to go live for real-time corporate actions announcements using ASX ISO20222 new capabilities.
- Implemented several initiatives to support clients’ offshore investment ambitions.
- Facilitating access to China’s capital markets by growing our list of partner brokers for our Multi-Approved Partner Broker (MAP) model for the China-Hong Kong Stock Connect Scheme.
- Partnering with Digital Asset to co-design a number of proof of concepts using Smart Contracts in the post trade space.
Our goal is to assist the drive for change while ensuring global best practices are met in the local market.
We represent our clients’ interests via participation in a number of local working groups such as the ACSA and various market facing business committees, providing a critical voice in the market.
We are committed to taking a market node on day one with a ledger API that will connect to the ASX CHESS replacement. We have worked closely with the ASX as a trusted advisor in this capacity.
BNP Paribas Securities Services New Zealand at a glance
BNP Paribas has been operating in New Zealand since 2002 and during this time, has built an enviable reputation as a true global custodian with multi‐local and multi‐asset capabilities. In New Zealand we are the second largest global custodian with NZD 30bn2 of local assets under custody. We are also the fastest-growing global custodian including a significant share of the NZ Kiwisaver market.
- We offer access to both Central Securities Depositories (CSDs) – the NZX CSD and the Reserve of Bank of New Zealand (RBNZ) CSD (NZClear). This dual access allows BNP Paribas to bring the sell and buy sides closer together.
- We can seamlessly move securities between NZX and NZClear CSDs to minimise the number of market movements.
- Access to the NZX CSD enables our clients to reduce the relatively high cost of operating in the New Zealand market through lower settlement costs, with the added benefit that our clients’ broker charges are decreased with the removal of the need to move stock across CSDs.
- The first custodian to go live with STP NZX announcements for automated corporate action releases within minutes.
- We are the only bank clearer on the NZX dairy derivative market. In 2012 we also became a clearer on the NZX equity derivatives market.
- The ability to bundle both Australia and New Zealand custody services allows for the streamlining of KYC, rate cards and documentation whilst also simplifying the on-boarding process.
1. As at 30 June 2021 (ACSA)
2. As at 30 June 2021 (BNP Paribas Securities Services & MIS data)
3. ASX monthly report
4. Excluding ICSDs